Sunday, January 30, 2011




Except for a quick trip to WTVL to buy more pencils, I spent all day Friday working. By the end of the day I was so frustrated with not getting the depth and intensity of line I wanted that I ripped the whole stabilizer off the back of it. Now it looks very wrinkled, but at least I'm not trying to draw on a thin layer of padding. My other problem is one that has been ongoing for me: I can't seem to keep my ground free from smudges. I've experimented with Spray 'n Wash and some bleach, and it appears I will be able to get a good part of it up.
This panel is 18 wide x 52 long. The plan is to make two of these panels and have them curve in opposite directions to give it a wave effect. Still clueless as to how I am going to accomplish that. The stabilizer will go back on to give it structure, but I don't know how to maintain a curve that will allow it to be hung on the wall. Open to any suggestions!

6 comments:

  1. Maybe you could tack it to a thin piece of plywood...or use dowels and make kind of a frame for the back of it with pieces in between to give it some hidden structure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wire threaded through a channel on both sides? I'll keep thinking. It looks really intriguing. Love the line work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't really tell from these images, but is the cording integrated into the graphite work at all? In these images, it looks to me like the cording is working more to separate the drawing into sections, rather than being an integral part of the drawing (ie another form of line) that flows throughout & connects different elements of the piece.

    In response to your comment above as to how to maintain a curve that can be hung on a wall - Does it have to be hung on a wall? It might be interesting to hang it in space, or make it free-standing, or entwine it around some kind of structure with an organic shape like a tree branch... just some thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a similar question to Barb - how does the cording integrate with the excellent draftsmanship of your line work?

    As to how maintain a curve - a light weight armature and weighted ends. Not unlike hanging drapes. This may work regardless of where it is hung allowing you to add tension where you need / what it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a random thought. Have you considered possibly aranging it in some sort of a mobius strip? Might be an interesting way to engage it in three-dimensions and eliminate two of the edges in the process.

    Either way, I think the work is incredibly engaging as is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to know if you have done anymore work to this piece or started something else!? I can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete