Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The point of departure in my drawings is the circle. Its shape embodies a sense of safety and wholeness, providing me with a central source from which I can extend and explore the possibilities of the page. This body of work involves the integration of PrismaColor and graphite. I become engaged in an intimate and exclusive conversation with the surface of the page. Much like the Magic Eye stereograms of the 90’s, when my eyes become transfixed on the pick and grab of the paper fibers, another dimension begins to emerge. The nuances of form and the illusion of depth pull me into the paper and allow the fibers to guide and direct my hand. An organic richness emerges. Tubes, tissues, and vessels weave in and out, disappearing and reappearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment